Kirstine Blackwell
Kirstine Blackwell 20 Mar 2019

Can someone explain the difference between having your bands read ( Church...

Can someone explain the difference between having your bands read ( Church of England wedding ) and ‘giving notice. ‘ I’m a tad confused! Do I have to do both.?

Suzanne Hunton
Suzanne Hunton 21 Mar 2019

"Banns". And no, once we set things in motion with the vicar he took care of all the paperwork. The fee covered this. But you should really be talking this through with the clergy so you understand what's going on with your own ceremony

UKbride Administrator
UKbride Administrator 21 Mar 2019

If Church of England the bands are all you need- if anything else then you give notice through your local register office- if unsure check with the register office and they will tell you x

Kayleigh E Alman
Kayleigh E Alman 21 Mar 2019

Talk to your vicor. He/she will tell you whether or not you have to give notice, depends on the church x

UKbride Administrator
UKbride Administrator 21 Mar 2019

Its giving notice, so banns are read out in church, in the older days most were attached to the church, so banns were read to notify people, giving notice at the registry is now the modern way of doing it, but cofe still use banns perfectly legal x

UKbride Administrator
UKbride Administrator 21 Mar 2019

Church of England wedding don't have to give notice. The vicar at the church does all your legal stuff

Beverley Farrand
Beverley Farrand 22 Mar 2019

C of e wedding in church. Banns need reading in church getting married in. Also in parish church you and partner live in. Notice can be given for c of e weddings but unusual. Unless missed banns deadline. Although banns can't be read too far in advance. And can be read week before wedding. You your vicar will give you banns dates and they will be able to help if you need to contact another church. I work for c of e and usually take care if filling in the wedding certs and banns books etc. Obviously my colleague is having to do this for my wedding. It's strange seeing my name in the banns book filling in banns details for another couple. A big tip if you need banns reading at other churches make sure they give you a certificate. This needs giving to vicar taking the service.

UKbride Administrator
UKbride Administrator 23 Mar 2019

I’m pretty sure you only give notice in a civil wedding wedding. Me and my husband had to do it. It’s placed outside the registry office for 28 days and during that time anyone can give a reason that you can’t be married etc x


Before we add your comment, please: log in to an existing UKbride account or join UKbride
Why Join?