Cheryl Jackson
Cheryl Jackson 9 Jul 2018

Im wanting to get married at the church near my venue but it isnt in my...

Im wanting to get married at the church near my venue but it isnt in my parish. I lived in the parish previously and when i spoke to the church she said it sounded like it would be fine and is sending me a form, she didn’t say what kind of evidence i would need to show ive lived in the parish, can anyone help? Thanks

Siobhan Knight-Potgieter
Siobhan Knight-Potgieter 10 Jul 2018

You have to go to church in your new parish and have the banns read there and pay for a certificate to prove it was done.


UKbride Administrator
UKbride Administrator 10 Jul 2018

you'll need to attend fairly regulary before your wedding regardless. You'll also need to get your banns read there and in your local parish.

Amy Vigor-Green
Amy Vigor-Green 10 Jul 2018

I need permission from your parish you reside in now and have the banns read there. Once you've spoken to both parishs it should all come together as they will explain each step you need to take.

Charlotte Mitchelmore
Charlotte Mitchelmore 10 Jul 2018

We have just booked a church also, my partner has lived in the parish all his life and has only just recently moved down the road, he said as long as we have a genuine link to the parish it is fine. He was fine with us getting married in the parish x

Cathy McBrearty
Cathy McBrearty 10 Jul 2018

You need a six month "relations" with the church, if it is not/no longer your parish. You get the banns read in your parish church (approx £40) and they give you a certificate to take to the church you are getting married at.

Sophie Nosworthy
Sophie Nosworthy 10 Jul 2018

If its a church of England church, look on the CofE website as all the requirements are on there.

Donna Milner
Donna Milner 10 Jul 2018

I payed to have my banns read in another parish charged us 42 pound don’t have to go to church getting married on 21st just met Vicar took my passport and birth certificate filled paper work in my banns were read in may x

UKbride Administrator
UKbride Administrator 10 Jul 2018

In our parish (CofE) you have to havd banns read in your parish church(es) and the church you will be married in. Reverends/churches differ on whether you must attend. The minimum in our church, if you live in the parish, is that you attend all three banns. If you don't meet CofE criteria (on their website) you have to attend regularly for 6 months.

UKbride Administrator
UKbride Administrator 11 Jul 2018

Entirely depends on the type of church. I’m from Buxton and live in northwich but getting married on Wirral where my fiancé is from. Mine is a united reformed church so they don’t do bans just explained why I wanted to marry there and I attend on a monthly basis until the wedding. I got my blue forms for the registrar and that’s about it. If different church will probably be similar scenario but may need to have banns read in your home town and at your new church (I looked into different options!) x

UKbride Administrator
UKbride Administrator 13 Jul 2018

I'm getting married in a church which is not in my parish however I lived in the area when I was very young and never needed to prove it.


Before we add your comment, please: log in to an existing UKbride account or join UKbride
Why Join?