Hi all, im getting married on the 31/10/2020 in Scotland, im still unsure if its going ahead, and said if I can only have 30 quests I want to postpone it. I havent sent invitations out yet and dont know if I should as I dont want to waste money. What would you do in this situation please? Many thanks xxx
Ours was Dec 2020 we postponed and not re booked. As we saw it as your paying more out nearer the time, but you can’t get wedding insurance, we orginally booked in Feb 2020 as only engaged New Year’s Day years day. So wasn’t meant to be a long engagement orginally xx
No easy answer to this (as I'm sure you've realised). There's a chance restrictions might be eased further by October. You could send save the dates electronically and hold off sending physical invites until nearer time. Check with venue when they need you to make a decision by. Check with any other suppliers too when you can cancel up to. If you are minded to postpone, be mindful that 2021 dates are booking up fast. Might be worth seeing if you can reserve a back up date with the venue? Good luck x
We are pressing ahead with our 1st Nov wedding. If the guess limit is in place or we have to cancel altogether we will sort that out then. I am about to send our invites out and I've decided to tell my guests, if we have to postpone ill let them know and they can cross out the old date and put the new one in. We are keeping it cost effective and tongue in cheek ish! We are rolling with it as Catherine about is :)
We are due to get married on 24th October this year in Northern Ireland- think we are slightly further ahead on restrictions lifting than UK- but still I know the feeling of uncertainty. But we are going to just continue to rock on and keep the fingers crossed! Xx
Our wedding was meant to be August, but we postponed until June next year, we are only going to do this day once so want it with all our friends and family, apart from the obvious number restrictions at the moment, we also found some of our guests were very nervous about the Covid situation still, so we decided that we would postpone.
We were due to get married 7/11/2020.... and just decided would rather postpone and have full day we wanted next year...... luckily all companies we booked could move dates with us so all good and haven’t lost deposits....
We had planned (and paid for) our wedding with invites sent out for 60 people. However, our wedding was set for 20th March (2 days before lock down) so half our guests had started isolating at the start of the week - we had 34 people say they still wanted to come (and the government decided 2 days before that only 10 people were allowed in the church).
As being married was the most important thing for us, we went ahead and it was amazing! 24 guests stood outside the church watching on fb live stream (along with those who couldn’t come and wanted to watch the ceremony from home - we were lucky that our vicar was more than happy to have it streamed due to circumstances) and we all had a brilliant time at the venue.
The other guests (who were gutted they couldn’t make it) have said they would like to chip in for a massive party when all this is over so we can celebrate together.
It depends on your priorities, but for us it was so worth going ahead with as the day was so special, and we get the added bonus of celebrating again with all those who couldn’t make it! 🙂
Why don’t you set up a digital invite then it’s easy and also a cheaper way of keeping people updated if you do have to postpone, I wish I had done that as ours was meant to be September and we sent the invites at the beginning of March, now we have had to postpone to September next year and we cannot justify the expense of another invite. Hopefully it still goes ahead for you xx
I built a wedding website using withjoy. It was free and really easy to do. Then the invitations get emailed out. You can also edit it any time. We did this as we didn't want to pay for invitations in case it got post poned and we'd have to pay all over again. It even has a section now to send a postponement email to all your guests if that's what you decide to do ❤
Im the same date as you, was meant to be married last Saturday 😟 The woman doing my invites has made my design and we are keeping it put until I know more, she said she can print them and be ready to send in a week, so im not too worried about the invites. However I'm panicking about knowing last minute and not being prepared. Atm my venue cant give me numbers for Oct and I rang round my vendors (invites, flowers) to discuss timing with them e.g. are they able to whip up their products last minute etc. However, I am not hopefull for Oct and expecting it to be postponed again, thankfully we've another date for March 2021. We are waiting until end of Aug/start of Sept to ring our venue again to discuss numbers and if there is still gonna be no dancing, no buffet, little guests and just too many restrictions then we are gonna make the decision to cancel Oct and wait until March 😩
If you want to go ahead either way and there's only 30 people you could do less expensive invitations. Shabby chic postcards or even the cute email greeting. I think it the stage were way past proper etiquette....
I sent a little Facebook message out and just told everyone that all details are the same and put the new date on the message
We’re in December and have just decided to send 30 invites now and contact others and say once the guidance changes we’ll send out more. We have decided if it’s just 30 of our closest family and a few friends- that’s fine. We’re hoping for 50 and going to keep to that as a rough upper limit as we have quite a few vulnerable oldies coming. If we want another big party we’ll do it on our anniversary next year xx
I personally would postpone. Only as I want all my friends and family to be there and couldn't imagine doing it with a limited number of guests. Also I'd double check the rules for Scotland, I'm in Fife and we have been told its 30 in England and Wales but only 20 in Scotland. (this includes registrar and still not allowed any live music or catering) the other option would be to have a private ceremony (maybe just you n the other half and witnesses) and once things are back to normal or on your one year anniversary, have a big reception and celebrate with everyone? I know it's really stressful but try not rush into a decision and figure out what works best for you xx
We’re going ahead with our 1/11/20 wedding too. Small wedding around 26 people 🤞🏻
Personally I would reschedule for next year save all the uncertainty. Our wedding was meant to have been abroad in May just gone so we could have rescheduled to later this year but with all the uncertainty we are going next May instead...
I was supposed to be getting married on the same day as you. H2b decided that we didn't want to cut our guest list in half and also you're currently not allowed a reception and for us it wasn't worth half of us coming together for half hour then going again. I decided to contact the venue anyway and they said despite govt rules saying 30 guests they had put their own rules into place and were saying 2 guests. So to us that wasnt the wedding we wanted so we have postponed till hopefully next year. The venue were lovely and said they could hold our deposit till we were ready to book with them again or we could have it returned. So speak to your venue they may be willing to give you a refund or hold on to it as the reason you're cancelling (if that's what you decide to do in the end) isn't your fault. Good luck ❤
I have had to move my date to next year but I have decided to send out e save the dates first so it doesn't cost me anything and then closer to the time when I know how many people I can invite send the invites out.
At the moment it is still only 20 people in Scotland. 30 applies to England. We have rescheduled to have a small wedding on 16th October. The 20 people also include the wedding party and celebrant and any other people you employ such as a photographer.
Ask yourself, do you want the day or a marriage more? X
I spoke to my venue today as I am also getting married on 31/10/2020 they have been told that as of the 1st October bigger wedding will be allowed but as get numbers havent been set
Mine has been postponed for the 2nd time. First was 20.06.2020 and then 10.10.2020. It is now put to 26.06.2021
I'm also due to get married 31.10.20, but in Manchester. We're really considering postponing, as we feel social distancing will still be in place and guest restrictions. Such a horrible feeling not knowing what will happen xx
Mine was September 11th..i decided to postpone. I should imagine the social distancing measures will be in place for a long time yet, sadly.
We are due to get married on the 10th October and haven’t yet sent invites either but I am about to, just hoping it goes ahead and some further restrictions are lifted in the coming weeks but will put something extra in the invites to suggest things could change depending on numbers etc and I am sure everyone will understand. However if numbers are still restricted to 30 we will be looking to change but will be very last minute, the uncertainty is the worst and knowing how busy next year is already and all of our supplies are nearly if not already fully booked it’s hard to know what to do for the best 😭 I’m clinging onto the recent announcement about schools going back in September so surely things have to change massively for weddings by then?! xx
Do an email invite! That’s what I did and it was way cheaper 😊
Me and my partner are due to get married on 22/10/20 whether restricted on amount of people or not, so we are setting up a website on an app called 'Hitched' it has a blog in it so when we send out the invites they can access the website and we can keep everyone updated as to what is going on. I am also making my own invites so I won't be losing too much money compared to if we bought them, hope the hitched app helps! Xx
we are due to marry on the 23rd oct... all invites have already been made our day guests were 65... I'm rolling with it too... phase 4 is around the corner and I'm praying no.s increase... your numbers can also increase if alot of family members have already met and are included in bubbles already, I also think it depends on size of venue... I'm hoping come October things are abit better... Gyms will be open, people can go to pubs already🤷🏼... and we can protest in our thousands🤔...! here's hoping we can have our perfect wedding..xx
I'm not sure if this is allowed here (please delete if not), but it's a bit rubbish that we have to pay to give notice to marry again for something that wasn't our fault, so please sign this so it can at least be debated:
(also, sorry I don't know how to start a new post on this page, otherwise I would)
I’m due to get married on the 18th October and have already sent the invites out. I’m going to wait until August time to see whether the numbers have been upped and if not I may postpone then as I want to still be able to have all of my guests there.
I recently had an email from the National wedding show to say exhibitions are allowed to go ahead from the 1st October so surely if they can we can have our weddings with close family and friends?!
I think 1.5-2 months notice for all guests if we have to postpone is more than enough as they are all aware of the current economic climate and understand this is something we may have to do. Hope this helps! xx
Go for it if you want it babe
We were tempted to go just ahead with Dec however we postponed we had father inlaw miles away & possibly at the time could of still been classed as having to stay in. Venues still closed, as you get nearer date registrar more money etc to pay out and with no insurances to cover it was cheaper to cut looses at beginning. It was orginally meant to end up just under a years engagement from when we got engaged and turn around. Our wedding was orginally small but it was the money you’d loose and possibly no wedding & little time to go to places / etc wedding that were shut just makes a rush (when orginally was all planned then engagement party etc all started to have to be cancelled . xx
UKBride. If you knew that your supplier portal how no information what so ever about when your supplier's contracts are coming to an end, any information on how to cancel or even a button to cancel. What could you do differently?