FREE Wedding Table Planner

+ FREE Wedding Budget Planner and more wedding planning tools

Join now free to use

Wedding Forum - AIBU for not inviting people we've never...

Not signed in (Sign In)

UKbride Supermarket

* Discount available to Power Users only. Terms and conditions apply. more

• LouiseR120
      CommentAuthorLouiseR120

I just wanted to check if I'm being unreasonable by not inviting people I've never actually met to our wedding!

So our venue is fairly compact, we have seating for 50 guests including children - our current guestlist sits at 53 so there will already be a little bit of jiggling and rearranging to do.

Now we have sent out our day invites and have invited H2b's cousins and children. A few (3) of these children are grown up and one has recently had a baby. The kids partners weren't included on the invites (we didn't even know one of them had a partner!) as we physically just don't have the room to include them.

I have recently fielded a call from H2b's Aunt who basically told me that it was appalling that they weren't invited and that it is rude and out of order. I defended by saying they are more than welcome to the evening (always the plan) but I just physically don't have the room for them to attend during the day. She continued that it was just a disgusting gesture and that none of them would come if that was the case. I did also inform her that I haven't invited some of my family because I just don't have the room but they are all coming to the evening (which they totally understand due to the logistics).

I have never met these partners and as advised I didn't even know one of them existed at all! But now I'm being out to be the bad person!

Please reassure me I'm not being out of order.... or tell me if you think I am! :( Although there is nothing we can do about it. The wedding is all booked and paid for as it's only 4 months away!

• MarionK59
      CommentAuthorMarionK59
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

How could you ever be expected to invite people you never even knew existed?! That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a while. With a restricted guest list, expecting you to invite people you don't even know is completely unreasonable, especially since you couldn't invite some members of your family because of space issues. From the fact you didn't know about the partners I am guessing you are not very close with that part of the family anyway. Get the aunt to confirm if she (and her children minus the partners) are definitely coming, and if not - you have some freed places for the people who will appreciate them.
    • lala "mod" bunni
      CommentAuthorlala "mod" bunni
      Ticker backgroundIs poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadgeTicker foreground

Hun you stick to the way you want things, we only invited hubby cousins to even but said no children, we got told that "if they can't bring kids they won't come" ....I responded with "well the obviously don't care about us then" ...they didn't come & we weren't bothered .
    People have to remember that this is your wedding, a union & commitment of two people NOT a family free-for-all.

UKbride's £25,000 Wedding Competition Prize Partners

Enter Now