Wedding Forum - Need inspiration...

Not signed in (Sign In)

UKbride Supermarket

* Discount available to Power Users only. Terms and conditions apply. more

• IrishLion
      CommentAuthorIrishLion
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

Hey guys

Im in a pickle. we are hunting (well I am) for venues and they all seem to be soooo dear. Were based in TW16 but are willing to travel up to 30mins from sunbury for the reception (were getting a church wedding) so dont need a ceremony venue just a breakfast and evening.

ive looked online at soo many places. but they are all looking at stupid prices for hire in Oct15. we are looking for 70 breakfast and a further 30 for evening. but we dont really want to spend more than id say £5k on it, but ideal accomodation on sight or close by.

I think im going mad.
    Do any ladies have any hidden gems.

We're wanting a romantic yet fun venue (with disabled facilicies for me and MIL2B) ideally allows fireworks (tho not essential). We arent fancy people and a good hearty food and knees up and a fun night is req'd.

PLEASE HELP ME FOR INSPIRATION LADIES

xxx
    • Flossie
      CommentAuthorFlossie
      Ticker backgroundIs poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadgeTicker foreground

I don't have any suggestions as I am not familiar with where you live, but all I would say is don't be afraid to haggle on prices. Let the venues know up front what your budget is and exactly what you're looking for and see if they can work around you and offer you some sort of deal. Also, have you thought of going to any wedding fairs? You may be able to get discount by booking a venue at a fair x

Members signature icon
    Happily married
    18th June 2016
    xx
    • AprilS61
      CommentAuthorAprilS61

I'm also not familiar with your location, but would definitely suggest going to wedding fairs local to you. Also, try the quote me tool on this site? Are there any nice hotels nearby or function rooms available? A lot of people have hired out halls and decorated them, or consider a marquee?

Members signature icon
    Mr & Mrs Swan 04/04/15

• barbie86
      CommentAuthorbarbie86
      Is poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadge

I used a website where you can search for wedding venues within the different counties. It was pretty pain-staking and took a while but it helped me get a handle on what was available in the area.

Some I ruled out straight away based on distance or looks. Any that were within a reasonable distance and that I liked the look of, I then looked into in more detail. Then, I emailed those that ticked our boxes (eg we had certain criteria like we didn't want any other weddings taking place on the same day) to ask for prices; some had package prices so sent those through, others didn't so I just sent an email with the standard things (canapes and welcome drinks; 3 course wedding breakfast with 1/2 bottle of wine and champagne for the toast; evening buffet) and a rough idea of our numbers.

As I said it was pretty laborious, but it paid off and we visited about a dozen venues and found our dream venue.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd suggest looking at places like pubs (there are some really nice ones out there) and village halls (you'd then obv need to get your own caterers in). I'm not far from you and it's an expensive area; you may struggle to get what you want for the numbers you want at a more conventional venue.
    • IrishLion
      CommentAuthorIrishLion
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

Thankyou ladies for your help

We've been to chelsea wedding fair and are going to the national show in earls court this weekend, we found lots of idea for other parts of the wedding like flowers and poss togs etc.
    we've seen one venue so far and it was far from good, all my H2B overheard was people complaining. Hes v.supportive and said we'll find one. We did consider a marquee, im not keen on it as in Oct it mite be cold and i dont think we have the big numbers needed.

Fingers crossed for this weekend, we're looking at a further two poss venues on sunday, and one of which we've heard great reviews from and the other is a little hidden gem i found in shepperton

Its so hard to ask for what you want but not mention the W word as i've been told prices jump up.

I think my H2B's haggle skills are desperately needed

:)
    x
    • Flossie
      CommentAuthorFlossie

Fingers crossed you find 'the one' soon. Definitely don't be afraid to haggle - you've nothing to lose x

Members signature icon
    Happily married
    18th June 2016
    xx
    • LindseyW58
      CommentAuthorLindseyW58

I hope you manage to find something, I'm not sure if you know or not, I looked into fireworks and they wanted somewhere between £500-1000 :S
    • Flossie
      CommentAuthorFlossie

Re. fireworks.. our DJ also offers fireworks are gave us the below quotes:

4 Min Display = £375.00
    6 Min Display = £499.00
    8 Min Display = £624.00

Members signature icon
    Happily married
    18th June 2016
    xx
    • AprilS61
      CommentAuthorAprilS61

Ah I didn't check when you were getting married, good point about the marquee.

We haven't really haggled with anything but I wish we had! Fingers crossed fora few more discounts with venue when we start confirming things as that's the biggest cost!

Members signature icon
    Mr & Mrs Swan 04/04/15

• CarrieD26
      CommentAuthorCarrieD26
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

Have you considered a village hall? We are having our reception at the village hall where our church is located. We are looking into hiring an indoor marquee to transform the space and hiring caterers for a hot buffet, then a hog roast in the evening. It still adds up cost wise, but you can tweak what you want, decorate yourself, haggle with caterers, consider offering a paid bar, etc. Sports halls and cricket / rugby / football clubs often hire out function rooms, some only charge bar staff costs and can recommend or provide caterers if that's easier than finding your own.
    • IrishLion
      CommentAuthorIrishLion
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

well so far,ive managed to do a lot of internet searching and found two little hidden venue gems we are seeing this weekend,so fingers crossed xx
    • Flossie
      CommentAuthorFlossie

Fingers crossed for the venues, hope one of them is 'the one' x

Members signature icon
    Happily married
    18th June 2016
    xx
    • WelshBrideBethan2015
      CommentAuthorWelshBrideBethan2015

Fingers crossed you find your venue :)

Members signature icon
    Somehow always connected , finally became friends .
    Friends became soul mates :)
    Engaged 6th July 2013
    <3 <3 Married my best friend 11/7/2015 <3 <3
    • CarrieD26
      CommentAuthorCarrieD26
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

Fingers crossed for you :-)
    • Flossie
      CommentAuthorFlossie

How did the viewings go Geraldine? xx

Members signature icon