FREE Wedding Table Planner

+ FREE Wedding Budget Planner and more wedding planning tools

Join now free to use

Wedding Forum - Comedian at evening reception????!!!!...

Not signed in (Sign In)

UKbride Supermarket

* Discount available to Power Users only. Terms and conditions apply. more

• ChanelP
      CommentAuthorChanelP
      Is poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadge

Hello,
    so need some help from all of you lovely brides. My H2B has had an idea of asking for a local comedian to do a bit of stand up at the wedding. The guy is very funny but I don't know if it is suitable for a wedding, we want everyone to have fun but don't know whether a comedian will be good or not, what do you think? Thank you for your help:)

Members signature icon
    XxX

• LauraK7
      CommentAuthorLauraK7
      Just marriedBadgeBadge
      edited

I think it depends on your guests would they appreciate it or are they more party/dancers?
    Is it for the day or evening guests?
    • ChanelP
      CommentAuthorChanelP

for evening guests .. i think after more drink they dance and party! I just don't know.

Members signature icon
    XxX

• CamillaB
      CommentAuthorCamillaB
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

I think it is a brilliant idea!... maybe have the comedian before the dj kicks off... say keep the performance to about 30 minutes... ask him to keep it clean if children are around.. really let the evening guests calm down and feel part of the wedding.. fab idea!
    • LauraK7
      CommentAuthorLauraK7
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

It could work as a warm up before the dancing begins
    I will be leading the dancing at my wedding ha ha
    • ChanelP
      CommentAuthorChanelP

I think it will relax everyone :) just think we will ask and find out :)

Members signature icon
    XxX

• LauraJo87
      CommentAuthorLauraJo87
      Ticker backgroundIs poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadgeTicker foreground

It could be great...and a real ice breaker if a lot of your guests don't know each other.

However, there are a few things to think about:

1. Will your guests feel comfortable getting up and getting a drink/ going to the loo etc whilst he is performing? They'll have already sat through ceremony and speeches and the general waiting around that is involved in a lot of weddings.

2. Is it going to cut into 'mingling' time? A lot of people treat weddings almost like reunions and a chance to catch up with people they haven't seen for years. I'm thinking more of older guests who might not be staying til the end anyway.

3. Timings - in my experience, not all guests will arrive at the time stated on the invite - our evening do started at 7.30 and we had guests arriving up until 9pm. Having said that, our venue was very close to where a lot of our guests live, so much easier to 'pop in when ready'....I think if it was further away and they'd had to arrange transport, more would have arrived between 7.30 and 8. A guest might feel quite awkward arriving halfway through a comedy set.

4. Is he going to be suitable for everyone? Presumably, he isn't a Roy chubby brown-esque type chap who will cause your great auntie Edith to have heart palpitations or your three year old cousins nephews best friend to spend the rest of the evening asking everybody what a MILF is. If there are going to be young children there, will they understand/be able to sit through or is there someplace else they can go or do.

You know your own guests best though, and these things might not be such an issue, in that case, it's a fantastic idea, and I'd love to go to a wedding with a comedian!

My Beating Heart Belongs To You
    30 August 2013

The First Day Of My Happily Ever After
    • InDreamland
      CommentAuthorInDreamland

It depends on what kinda entertainment your guests are into.

Also, will you have time in the day to fit it in? Wedding days are packed enough without an extra 20-30 minutes watching a show.

Personally I wouldn't bother, save the time and money xxx

Members signature icon
    Married the love of my life on Saturday 11th May 2013 xxx
    Had our dream perfect honeymoon in Hawaii!

• ChanelP
      CommentAuthorChanelP

My main worry is that other than a DJ we don't have any other form of etertainment... does this matter? I just don't want people to be bored. x

Members signature icon
    XxX

• Elinor Claire
      CommentAuthorElinor Claire

Could be a great idea for something a bit different. Most comedians perform in informal settings so people can move around. It would be a good idea to go and hear them, and if there are kids make sure they know.

Members signature icon
    30th August 2014 was the best birthday ever.
    It was the day that I became Mrs. Dixon.

• InDreamland
      CommentAuthorInDreamland

All we had were cd's playing in the background until the DJ in the evening and none of our guests were bored, in fact some guests said afterwards it was one of the best weddings they'd been to. It is the people, your guests and everyone being on a high that makes the wedding day fun and amazing xxx

Members signature icon
    Married the love of my life on Saturday 11th May 2013 xxx
    Had our dream perfect honeymoon in Hawaii!

UKbride's £25,000 Wedding Competition Prize Partners

Enter Now