UKbride Supermarket

* Discount available to Power Users only. Terms and conditions apply. more

• CharlottePhillips2be
      CommentAuthorCharlottePhillips2be

Hello ladies

Was wondering if any of you have any tips/suggestions on budgeting
    or saving up quicker. Me and my Husband to be are planning on
    to get married in 2019 or maybe earlier (hopefully) so was just
    seeing if any of you lovely ladies had any tips or suggestions:)

Thanks
    • natg85
      CommentAuthornatg85
      Is poweruserBadgeBadge

I would start a separate bank account and transfer either a certain amount if you can each month or as much as you can afford. Plus if by small chance you have any spare each month even as little as £5 or £10 you can add that also. In regards to budgeting, get an idea of what kind of wedding you want and check out how much the main aspects will be E.g. venue, entertainment etc. You then at least know how much you should aim for, however remember inflation of prices will occur in the next 4 - 5 years
    • Showgirl
      CommentAuthorShowgirl
      BadgeBadge

We're lucky as my parents said they're willing to give us x amount and then OH's parents said they'd match it. In order to make the budget go a little further though I did ask for little bits as a birthday/Christmas present, such as the lights for the centrepieces etc.
    For you that would mean 4/5 years worth of bithday/Christmas presents as contributions (or perhaps asking for some money instead) towards the wedding. Other than that I can only really suggest setting up an account with a high interest rate which you both contribute as much as possible to each month and then use that money to only pay for wedding related things. If you're able to cut back on thinngs like your weekly food bill or if you get a bonus/pay rise from work then you'll be able to put a little more into the account each month.
    Oh and definitely start a spreadsheet itemising every item you you would need for the wedding (from venue and dress down to candles and table scatters) and after doing a little research put in an estimated cost for each (with a running total at the bottom) and then another column with the actual cost. The estimated cost will give you an idea of how much you can afford to spend on each item, maybe make you rethink if its entirely necessary to have that item and if you're anything like me you'll see the estimated cost as a challenge to get that item even cheaper - because of my spreadsheet (and asking for little items as presents) I have so far 'saved' over £9000 of the estimated costs.
    • Elinor Claire
      CommentAuthorElinor Claire
      Ticker backgroundIs poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadgeTicker foreground

See how much you can do yourself or using the talents of friends or family. Work out exactly what you want and decide where you don't need to spend money to be happy. Not everyone needs to spend thousands on a sit down meal for 100 guests. Some want that, some might do a bring and share buffet. See if you know anyone who can bake a cake or a load of cupcakes, or who can make dresses, or take photos, or do the entertainment.

Members signature icon
    30th August 2014 was the best birthday ever.
    It was the day that I became Mrs. Dixon.

• almost a year wife!!
      CommentAuthoralmost a year wife!!

Wowza! Never seen a 2019 bride before!

We gave ourselves 2.5 years and each month we bought and paid outright for some bits or deposits... Then when we put a deposits down we would have an envelope in which we paid the balance...
    eBay and preloved are my best friends! As well as independent businesses on fb, I joined lots of wedding groups on there and lots of sellers posted there too... Jus make sure you pay via PayPal or credit card if buying online... I wouldn't do the big stuff I.e venue as I would recommend insurance but you can't buy it until 2 years (i think!) before the wedding day l.

LOTS of DIY... I've made my own flowers, oos, gifts, buttonholes - loads!

We're getting our cake from w@!tr0$€ and is only £235 for a three tier chocolate orange...

Lots and lots of bargains to be had... We've had spare money this month too so managed to get last minute bits I really wanted but didn't think I could have...

Good luck! X

Members signature icon
    Ill marry my hero

• LauraY27
      CommentAuthorLauraY27
      Is poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadge

We are having a simple, relaxed day with around 120 people. We've booked a gorgeous village hall, a marquee and a hog roast and are doing a buffet along side it. We're making our centrepieces, bouquets and all our close family are bringing a different cake. I bought my dress for £200 off of the bay. Bridesmaids dresses from a high street store in the sale. The only thing I've splashed out on is £400 for a bouncy castle, photobooth and candy floss :). Our costs are coming upon at just under £4000 at the moment.

The other ladies are right, you need to decide what you want. We didn't do this and booked what everyone else expected us to have, a barn with a formal sit down meal. We cancelled because it wasn't us at all. Good luck xx
    • CharlottePhillips2be
      CommentAuthorCharlottePhillips2be

Thank you ladies I appreciate all of yr advice and suggestions xx
    • Whovianbride
      CommentAuthorWhovianbride

Yeah get a is a or similar and set up a direct debit of however much you recon you can afford etch week/month, I started with just £10 a week and it soon adds up, I've upped our to £30pw now so will will hopfuly have enough for a honeymoon too.

Members signature icon
    Met June 2009 on my Birthday,Met again July 2009 and got
    together, May 2010 Moved in,Jan 2011 got pregnant,
    August 2011 Got our own place, 2011 Had our Baby Girl,
    Dec 2011 Got engaged, July 2015 Getting married! Yay!
    • Becky1608
      CommentAuthorBecky1608

Definitely try and put a set amount of money into a desperate account each month and then if you can afford more some months then put extra away. Try to do a rough budget too so you know roughly how much you think everything will cost. Also as others have said, if you know people who can help out with any parts i.e flowers, photography etc then that helps xxx

Members signature icon
    29/09/2008 - The Day we met
    12/11/2008 - When we decided to be more than friends
    04/11/2012 - A proposal in Central Park NYC
    08/11/2014 - The day we say I do!

UKbride's £25,000 Wedding Competition Prize Partners

Enter Now