FREE Wedding Table Planner

+ FREE Wedding Budget Planner and more wedding planning tools

Join now free to use

Wedding Forum - How to get him excited about being engaged...

Not signed in (Sign In)

UKbride Supermarket

* Discount available to Power Users only. Terms and conditions apply. more

• CommentAuthorRachelA503
      BadgeBadge

I know the bride plans most of the wedding but my fiance has shrugged at every thought and idea. What a great way to get him to be excited and share a few ideas?

And hello I'm new =)
    • LauraY27
      CommentAuthorLauraY27
      Is poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadge

My h2b was the most unhelpful man ever at the beginning. And now I've got him making bunting and helping with the save the dates, he is really excited! Give him something to be responsible for and he'll get into it. H2b keeps asking me when I'm going to buy more material for him! Xx
    • Showgirl
      CommentAuthorShowgirl
      BadgeBadge

Mine was the same to begin with but I persevered in throwing ideas his way and then something just clicked and he started contributing his own ideas and as of a few weeks ago he was even the one to initiate some wedding conversations.
    I think because your wedding is 2 years away he thinks there's loads of time and no need to worry about planning just yet. Perhaps if you explain how quickly things get booked up and just keep on telling him your ideas (that way he can't complain closer to the date if he wants things a different way) and I'm sure he'll start getting involved.
    Sorry not much help, but I'm sure there'll be others with some wonderful ideas for you.
    • LauraF89
      CommentAuthorLauraF89
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

Mine just shrugs too but when i book something or talk about putting a deposit down from getting quotes he soon perks up and wants his say..i just keep getting stuff and doing stuff and that seems to get him to give some input but i don't think he'll get too fussed until it gets closer.
    I can see him having a little panic and him having a go at me saying why didnt i tell him when time gets ticking. I'm jut doing as much a i can well in advance so that if he remains uninvolved then at least i'll have stuff sorted.

xxx

October 31st 2015
    I will be Mrs. Henry
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    • MrsBull2B
      CommentAuthorMrsBull2B
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

my OH was the same, told me to stop looking at things til we had set a date, now that we have set the date, hes still not reallly excited, just has the odd opinion every now and then, but thts just him, hes so laid back x

Members signature icon
    Met 5th Sept 2005
    Got together 10th May 2011
    Got Engaged 14th Feb 2012
    Getting Married 13th June 2015
    • Whovianbride
      CommentAuthorWhovianbride
      Ticker backgroundIs poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadgeTicker foreground

Our wedding is about things we love, doctor who and cool music, when I first said about doctor who he dismissed it, portion thought I was joking, then have him examples of what we could do with it, and he got really excited and came up with other ideas but for the most he leaves me to it unless I lay down the law and tell him what to do (needs doing)

Members signature icon
    Met June 2009 on my Birthday,Met again July 2009 and got
    together, May 2010 Moved in,Jan 2011 got pregnant,
    August 2011 Got our own place, 2011 Had our Baby Girl,
    Dec 2011 Got engaged, July 2015 Getting married! Yay!
    • kittyh
      CommentAuthorkittyh
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

I did all the major planning in the beginning, researched everything and just gave him a choice out of the finalists I had picked (venue etc), the jobs he has been involved in are things like making our wedding website, tasting the food, seeing the band anything that involves food, music or technology and he is happy! give him things to do that are in his area of expertise...thats what I did and now he is generally more interested/involved in other things...he now can't wait to do the table plan on the computer haha! :) xx
    • Mrschapman2b.
      CommentAuthorMrschapman2b.

My fiancé is the same, I start talking about wedding favours and fable decorations his eyes glaze over but start talking about computer related task, invites etc he gets more interested. He did use the excuse it's not something a man interested in, yeah pal. That's nice don't moan when you don't like it though!!
    • natg85
      CommentAuthornatg85
      Is poweruserBadgeBadge

My OH is interested in some aspects but after 2 minutes you see his eyes glaze over :-) We chose the venue together after I narrowed it down and he helped choose the invites after I narrowed it down. I have given him things to do which I know he will like such as the wedding website and the budget spreadsheet. In the future I think I will be choosing most of the aspects such as decorations etc possibly because he isn't the best with colours etc.
    • almost a year wife!!
      CommentAuthoralmost a year wife!!

Mine was p00p in the beginning but the last few weeks his unstoppable! Lol and keeps quoting how many days are left etc...

I wouldn't worry about it, enjoy your planning and he will soon start to show an interest, I asked his opinion on things and all I got was 'yeah whatever you want'

Xx

Members signature icon
    Ill marry my hero

BadgeBadge

Haha yeh i get a lot of 'it's up to you' and 'as long as i can pick the music!'.

It's hard to get started on venue ideas and colour themes/ideas when all I get is a shrug. I'll try dragging him out to a venue or two and see if I can get some opinions from him!

Great to know it's not just us- thank you ladies!
    • rachymoo
      CommentAuthorrachymoo
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

It's just a man thing really, they don't tend to get excited until you get quite close to the day. Ours was nearly 2 years away when we booked it and my h2b just wasn't bothered at all, I alos got a lot of "It's up to you"s and "I dont mind"s. It's only really very recently he's started saying he's looking forward to it, we have 7 weeks to go LOL x
    • Velcro
      CommentAuthorVelcro

mine has only been intersted in the stag do. hes shown some interest here and there, but now, with just under 5 months to go, hes really getting stuck in... sometimes to my annoyance as ive said to him ive been planning this for SO long and making desicions without your input, now you are trying to bloody well take over!!

He literally did come in and say i want this, this and this and i dont like that (the clapper boards) told him, too late on clapper boards as i asked your opinion at the time, and you shrugged and said 'whatever' so we are having them.... he realised then that he better start planning with me and not trying to take over lol

Members signature icon

Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey
    *Kelbel* is my wedding twinny!
    • clairenina
      CommentAuthorclairenina
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

My fiance is more enthusiastic than me, and he has done more than me too so far. He chose and bought all the favours recently, and the invitations (I had some involvement with that though)
    • Mrs M Wade
      CommentAuthorMrs M Wade

Mine is the same. Took him in to a wedding shop to show him some bridesmaid dresses that were in peach and he didn't want to go but I made him...went to a wedding fayre and all I got was...you decide on it all and I'll just turn up on the day :-/ all I get is its 2 years away what you looking at things now for...argh men!! I've left the photos and dj to him as his friend is a professional photographer so he said he would do that and his other friend is a dj so he has said he will do that part of the wedding for us. When we start paying for stuff next year fingers crossed he's more interested x

Members signature icon
    Became Mrs Wade 06/08/2016

• AprilS61
      CommentAuthorAprilS61

Mine is the same! There are a few things that he will get involved in and after a few words last week he ordered some things off the Bay for our favours and the tables and think he was expecting a 'thank you', but i simply said (in a nice way of course) it should be something he should be interested in doing anyway and want it for himself.

He seems to have in his head that anything he does or suggests as an idea is wrong or I won't like, but it's because he doesnt help much or we decide on something else that we don't go with it! So frustrating, does anyone else have the same?

I'll give him one thing though, he has ordered his suits and got an extra to include my stepbrother which I waasn't expecting. Now he just won't tell me what they look like so he can keep a secret like me with my dress and accessories, so now I won't show him the bridesmaids dresses

Members signature icon
    Mr & Mrs Swan 04/04/15

• JoD96
      CommentAuthorJoD96
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

My oh was interested in finding the venue and then contributed that he wants to wear a black suit, apart from that he is just the same, glazed eyes, sighing, the famous 'it's up to you' every time I try and discuss anything to do with the wedding that lasts over 5 mins, hoping this will change though as I worry that something I chose he won't like, but then again he should of had more input

• InDreamland
      CommentAuthorInDreamland

My hubby was like that until it came to the cake and cars, he suddenly morphed into demanding groomzilla! Plus him and my dad ganged up on me over the cars (okay so they were right in the end but I don't like being wrong). He also took the suit choosing serious and was the one to drag me to a wedding fayre where he got the idea for table centers which we went with.

My suggestion is involve them in the man things like choosing food and drink, cars, suits and cake! He was so greedy he tried to get more of my share of the cake samples!

Good luck xxx

Members signature icon
    Married the love of my life on Saturday 11th May 2013 xxx
    Had our dream perfect honeymoon in Hawaii!

BadgeBadge

He had a look at a venue today and he's finally started giving out some ideas! yay =D
    • LauraK7
      CommentAuthorLauraK7
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

I think it's a man thing I try to talk to mine and he seems like he doesn't car but I think to him it's still to far away I reckon by January he'll be excited too as well only have 6 months to go
    He did come cake tasting and help with flowers as he likes both lol
    • JennK
      CommentAuthorJennK

My H2b almost too interested! He has lots of ideas and trying to sift through them and make sure everything will work together is proving tricky!

Members signature icon
    Our perfect day - 08.08.15 <3

• Stia
      CommentAuthorStia
      Just marriedBadgeBadge

My Partner is the same. I don't plan to get married till about October 2016, which even to me seems like a long way away, but I'm also a super worrier. I like to plan things as much as possible and I like to browse online for hours on end, getting ideas, looking at prices and finding just want I want at a reasonable price.

All this I want to share with my partner, but he just doesn't seem all that interested. He has no big ideas and doesn't really want to look at anything until he has to. Like the rings, he wont really think about it till it's time to go shopping for them, then he'll see what he likes. To me this is infuriating and little I can do about it. hopfully he'll be more interested when the venue is booked and things are getting closer.
    • *The NewMrsMalin*
      CommentAuthor*The NewMrsMalin*

Mine has been interested from the beginning luckily but I would give him specific tasks to do which should help him be more involved; as it is two years till you are getting hitched; maybe he thinks there is more then enough time and not bothered at the moment; I'm sure when it gets closer he'll be more eager :)

Members signature icon
    Met in 2009
    Got together on12th May 2011, proposed on the 12th May 2013
    When you get knocked down; smile and pick yourself up again!
    Fight for what you believe in!

UKbride's £25,000 Wedding Competition Prize Partners

Enter Now