FREE Wedding Table Planner

+ FREE Wedding Budget Planner and more wedding planning tools

Join now free to use

Wedding Forum - I'm new to all this, could really do with...

Not signed in (Sign In)

UKbride Supermarket

* Discount available to Power Users only. Terms and conditions apply. more

• JemmaD42
      CommentAuthorJemmaD42
      edited

Hi, I'm Jemma :) Me and my Fiance have been engaged for just over a year. We have an 18 month old daughter and are hoping to get married in the near future (most likely after we've had another baby). We are both huge film fans and I love the 1950s, we were thinking of a using those "loves" of ours to personalise our wedding day. We have seen a beautiful classic cinema where we could actually have our wedding ceremony in Birmingham but are really struggling with ideas for the reception venue. We would need somewhere that would hold around 90 for the day (adults and children) and about 120 for the evening. We would ideally love burgers/hotdogs/fries/ice cream sundaes for our wedding breakfast (think 1950s American diner) and maybe somthing like pizza and chips for our evening buffet. I'm really struggling at the moment as the thought of a traditional sit down meal with the speeches is not something we want but can't really think of a venue where we wouldn't have to have this. Any tips and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm slowly driving myself insane with search engines :)
    Thanks x
    • Elinor Claire
      CommentAuthorElinor Claire
      Ticker backgroundIs poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadgeTicker foreground

Could you just find a church or town hall where you can just hire the room? Or if there's a nice garden somewhere you could hire a marquee. Then organise your catering separately.

Members signature icon
    30th August 2014 was the best birthday ever.
    It was the day that I became Mrs. Dixon.

• JemmaD42
      CommentAuthorJemmaD42

That's what I initially thought. I know you can hire the Botanical Gardens as a wedding venue but I'm sure they don't allow outside catering. Thank you :)
    • Showgirl
      CommentAuthorShowgirl
      BadgeBadge

We looked at the Botanical Gardens and you're right, you have to use their caterers, but it may be worth getting a quote fom them. Where abouts in Birmingham is the cinema? In keeping with the 50's diner theme how about seeing if the Burger Kitchen at the Mailbox is willing to let you host a private function there or if they would be willing to cater a different venue?
    • JemmaD42
      CommentAuthorJemmaD42

Thanks Showgirl that's a great idea :)
    • Shanni86
      CommentAuthorShanni86

Hi I've looked at the ark at alvechurch, it's the church hall, but not a traditional church hall & it's not expensive to hire then maybe see about getting a food van which are getting quite popular now, or do a search for caterers in the area? Hope that's any help?

Also there's an extra space upstairs which I'd been thinking of using as a kids area (putting in games, poss a tv & games console &pillows & duvets so they can crash out) so they don't get bored x
    • InDreamland
      CommentAuthorInDreamland
      Ticker backgroundIs poweruserJust marriedBadgeBadgeTicker foreground

Ooh that food sounds fab! Can I come

Any pubs with a private function room?

Members signature icon
    Married the love of my life on Saturday 11th May 2013 xxx
    Had our dream perfect honeymoon in Hawaii!

UKbride's £25,000 Wedding Competition Prize Partners

Enter Now